Self-Service Deployment: Windows Computers
Updated: 12 April 2021 04:33 PM
If you have just received a Windows laptop from OCAD U IT Services this guide details the recommended self-setup procedure. Follow along with this guide on a phone or another computer. You may or may not see all of these screens as part of the setup procedure, and the appearance and wording of some screens may differ slightly.
Before you begin, plug the computer into power and set it somewhere where it can sit for a while. Make sure there is an available Internet connection, whether by WiFi or Ethernet cable.
1. Turn on the computer. At the first screen, you'll be greeted with title text that says "Welcome to OCAD University".
Type your OCAD U username, followed by @ocadu.ca and select Next
as in: email@example.com
If you do *not* see this screen then you need to use the alternative setup guide here.
2. You'll be redirected to OCAD U's sign-in portal. Sign in with your username and password here.
3. The computer will now configure itself for use and install applications.
4. After the configuration phase is done, you'll arrive at the Windows login screen. Sign in with your OCAD U username and password.
5. You'll be prompted to set up Windows Hello. This involves using a PIN or a biometric (fingerprint or facial identification) method. Click OK.
6. Complete the MFA challenge by approving the sign in with your mobile device.
7. Set up a PIN for your computer account. This will make signing in faster and will improve your system's security. PINs must have 6 digits minumum.
8. The PIN is set up. Click OK.
9. Initial setup is complete! The login will continue and take you to the desktop. At this point, our management service will have installed the Office and Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop applications in the background, as well as silently encrypting the data on the computer to keep it safe from theft.
Now that you have set up your account the computer is ready to use. You may wish to:
Sign into Outlook to get access to your email in the full desktop app.
Set up OneDrive sync to access your OneDrive files locally on your computer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-files-with-onedrive-in-windows-615391c4-2bd3-4aae-a42a-858262e42a49?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us