This article is for current students who need to move the contents in their student Google Drive to their student OneDrive.
Using Google Takeout to Download Drive Content
Google Takeout will allow you to export and download your Google Drive contents to your local computer. Then, copy those files to OneDrive using the native OneDrive app for macOS or Windows. OneDrive will provide 5TB of space for your files.
Regardless of whether you plan to move your email to another personal Gmail account or not, Google Takeout allows you to download your email as an MBOX file, which is a universal email file format that can be loaded into an email client such as Apple Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird.
To export your content, please browse to the link:
1. If you’re looking to export just a few key items, click on the “Deselect all” before going through the list and checking the items you do want to export.
Keep in mind to check for these items:
2. Once you’ve selected all of the items you want to export, scroll to the bottom and click on the “Next Step”
3. Choose your file type, frequency and destination and click on the “Create export” button.
- You can choose the option to “Send a download via email” or to add directly to Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive (Outlook/Hotmail), and Box. Please read the details if choosing any of these direct add options.
4. You’ll see that the number or products that is being copied and approximate time it will take.
5. You will receive an email indicating that an “Archive of Google data requested” for your account.
- If you want to check the status, click on “Check Activity” button.
6. If you clicked on “Check Activity” you may be asked to confirm that you recognize the activity.
- If you do, click on the “Yes it was me”
- Click on the “here” in the next pop up message.
7. You can see and manage your exports. If ready, your content will be available for download.
8. You will receive an email when your Google data archive is ready. Click on the “Download archive” button.
9. Log in to your account to manage and download your export.