TechSmith Relay - Recording Video Content with TechSmith Capture
Updated: 30 April 2020 03:14 PM
Recording Video Content with TechSmith Capture
OCAD U uses TechSmith Relay for Lecture Capture. The recording software is called TechSmith Capture and can be downloaded and used anywhere. TechSmith Relay is integrated with Canvas so that sharing videos with students is easy.
To get started with the TechSmith Relay Recorder, look for the Launch Capture button in the TechSmith Relay website, or in Canvas. The first time you attempt to launch the recorder, you'll be prompted to download the application to the local machine.
After you've installed the application, return to the TechSmith Relay site and click Launch Capture again. This time, and every time after this, the recorder should launch on your machine when you click the Launch Capture button. The Capture window looks like this (as of version 1.3.7):
1. Webcam selection:Click the text to choose or disable your webcam.
2. Capture: Click this to begin your session. Please note: clicking the Capture button changes the interface but does not start recording, click the Record button found at the bottom of the screen as shown in the last image on this page.
3. Clear Shortcut: Click to clear the Capture shortcut keys.
4. Settings: Click here to access Preferences. Preferences include setting new Capture shortcut keys.
When Capture is pressed, you need to select the region of the screen to record. Hovering over a window will select that window. Hovering over the Finder (MacOS) or Windows Explorer (Windows) will select the entire screen. You can also click and drag the crosshairs to select a custom region.
When you select the region, the recording controls appear at the bottom of the screen.
1. Record button. When recording, this button becomes the Stop button. When recording a Pause button will also appear to the right of this button. This button also resumes recording from a paused state.
2. Mute/Unmute camera.
3. Enable/Disable system audio. When enabled for the first time you will be prompted to enable permission for this feature. There is no toggle for this feature when recording has begun.
4. Mute/Unmute microphone.
5. The current dimensions of the recording window.
6. Start over.
7. Cancel recording.