TechSmith Knowmia - Recording Video Content with TechSmith Capture
Updated: 25 August 2020 01:45 PM
OCAD U uses TechSmith Knowmia (formerly Relay) for Lecture Capture. The recording software is called TechSmith Capture and can be downloaded and used anywhere. TechSmith Knowmia (formerly Relay) is integrated with Canvas so that sharing videos with students is easy.
To get started with the TechSmith Capture, click the Launch Capture button in your Knowmia Library. The first time you attempt to launch the Capture, you'll be prompted to download the application to the local machine.
After you've installed the application, return to the Knowmia site and click Launch Capture again. This time, and every time after this, the recorder should launch on your machine when you click the Launch Capture button. The Capture window looks like this:
1. Capture: Click this to begin your session. Please note: clicking the Capture button changes the interface but does not start recording, click the Record button found at the bottom of the screen as shown in the last image on this page.
2. Shortcut: This is the keyboard shortcut to start and stop Capture. The default is Shift-Command-1 for macOS and Shift-F11 for Windows.
3. Clear Shortcut: Click to clear the Capture shortcut.
4. Settings: Click here to access Preferences. Preferences include setting new Capture shortcut keys.
When Capture is pressed, you need to select the region of the screen to record. Hovering over a window will select that window. Hovering over the Finder (MacOS) or Windows Explorer (Windows) will select the entire screen. You can also click and drag the crosshairs to select a custom region.
When you select the region, the recording controls appear at the bottom of the screen.
1. Record button. When recording, this button becomes the Stop button. When recording a Pause button will also appear to the right of this button. This button also resumes recording from a paused state.
2. Mute/Unmute camera.
3. Enable/Disable system audio. When enabled for the first time you will be prompted to enable permission for this feature. There is no toggle for this feature when recording has begun.
4. Mute/Unmute microphone.
5. The current dimensions of the recording window.
6. Start over.
7. Cancel recording.