Laptop Return Date for 2018 Administrative Laptop Lease: June 24, 2022
IT Services, working with Finance and the VP Admin, has leased a small fleet of laptops for Administrative use. These machines are being directed at users who require mobility and may currently be using an older laptop. IT Services will be leasing computers annually, it is important that these assets are tracked and returned to IT Services before the end of the lease, and that they are returned in good condition.
If you have received this document electronically as a part of a loan renewal you agree to the Terms and Conditions stated by keeping and continuing your current loan. If you do not agree to the terms, please return the equipment immediately.
Top 5 Reminders
- Keep your liquids away from the laptop. Liquid damage is not covered by the warranty, and is your responsibility.
- Return your laptop in the same condition you received it. Dents, gouges, scratches, cracked screens, warped cases are costly to repair at approximately $1000 per incident. Consider purchasing a hard shell laptop case and use the provided bag.
- Never leave this laptop unattended in an unsecure location. Classrooms, the library and open areas on campus are frequented by thieves. Never leave your laptop in your car where it is visible. Preventing crimes of opportunity is your responsibility.
- Return your laptop promptly by the designated deadline. We run security updates and install new software on our laptops and sometimes upgrade your equipment.
- Use your laptop. We strive to provide laptops to all our users and pay for licensing: we do not have sufficient inventory to support more than one computer per user. If you are currently using a serviceable desktop IT Services will redeploy it where there is need.
- Return borrowed equipment and materials to OCAD U at the required return time, or at the end of employment, whichever is earliest, whereupon equipment and materials will be evaluated for their condition and that all items on the loan list are present. Penalties will apply to late returns and abandoned equipment.
- The laptop is to be used for university purposes only.
- Keep borrowed equipment and materials in your custody and agree not to loan, or otherwise entrust or provide the equipment or materials to any other person.
- Be bound by OCAD U’s Acceptable Use Policy for the use of borrowed equipment at all times.
- Do not permanently relocate the laptop outside of Canada. Of course, it may be used for travel, but it must be returned by you on the specified date or at end of employment.
- Assume full responsibility for damage, loss or theft of the equipment and/or materials. All costs associated with the loss, theft or damage to the equipment while on loan to the Borrower shall be the sole obligation of the Borrower including late fines. We do not and cannot insure our laptops under OCAD U’s Insurance Policy. All equipment must be in good working order and be circulation quality.
Fines & Penalties
- Your obligations and any fines/penalties regarding the use of University equipment are outlined in the Equipment Loan Guidelines. All staff borrowing OCAD U laptops are subject to these guidelines.
- Loan privileges and wireless network access may be suspended until items have been returned and all fines and charges are paid.
- IT Services reserves the right to refuse loan requests if valid OCAD U ID is not presented.
- Laptop loans are restricted to one laptop or desktop computer per user.
- If you require an accommodation, please work with IT Services and HR to support you. Users must provide necessary documentation prior to signing out any loans.
- The loaned laptop is either property of OCAD University or a financial services company under a lease agreement and must be returned upon completion of employment or the loan term, whichever is first.
- You are fully responsible for all loss, damage and theft regarding this laptop, and OCAD University assumes no liability, insurance or warranty for loss, damage and theft while the laptop is in your possession.
- The software is licensed by OCAD U for your use, while you are employed at the university only
- Some software may have restrictions on commercial use: please consult IT Services.
Loan Term & Renewals
The term of this loan is from the date of issue until the date listed at the top of the document. Laptops must be returned prior to or on this date to avoid penalties (See Fines & Penalties). Staff are welcome to reapply for the renewal of their long-term loan laptop prior to the next application deadline and some loans are auto-renewed by your Manager. Regardless of whether your application is approved or not, you will be required to return the laptop to the IT Services Help Desk so we can run software updates, change security settings, check for damage and upgrade the hardware when necessary.
Accessories and Peripherals
Accessories like mice, adapters, cables, docking stations, external displays and other peripherals are not included with the loan of a laptop and will be the responsibility of the department to procure. Commonly requested peripherals and accessories along with pricing can be found in our Supported Hardware knowledge base article found here.
We install this software by default on all systems:
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Creative Cloud, including Acrobat
- Chrome, Firefox
- Ivanti Lanrev
We optionally install this software for staff who require it:
- Autodesk Autocad
- Vizio (purchase required)
- MS Project (purchase required)
- Please inquire if you have other software needs
What we don’t install
OCAD IT Services does not support, endorse or install the following software:
Security and Privacy
If IT Services is given reason to believe that the security of your laptop has been compromised in any way or your laptop is overdue for return, we will take steps to ensure the security of the laptop. OCAD U IT Services installs a management client on all of our laptops: this software allows us to inventory, track, lock and update software and settings to computers.
- OCAD U employs Bitlocker encryption on Windows PC systems in order to keep institutionally owned data private from loss or theft.
- While the laptops we loan are encrypted, the USB keys and external hard drives are not encrypted by default, and Cloud services (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) are only as secure as your password. IT Services strongly recommends staff store all institutional data on OneDrive.
- Staff members may be responsible for storing and handling student personal information, and we ask that you understand your responsibilities under the http://www.ocad.ca/about_ocad/governance/info_privacy.htm Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Please ensure your data is being stored on OCAD U OneDrive. Please contact IT Services for more information.
Antivirus and Malware
We install the following security software:
- Windows: Symantec Endpoint Security (Antivirus)
Backup, Data Storage and Rescue
OCAD U IT Services is not responsible for backup of loaned computers. Please use Microsoft OneDrive to store work documents, do not store OCAD U documents on the local hard drive.
Support for the laptop is provided through the IT Services Help Desk, by emailing email@example.com or by telephone at (416) 977-6000, Ext. 444.