Tips for Running Effective Online Meetings
- Online meetings ≠ real in-person meetings: The meeting needs to be structured, as participants cannot all speak at once. Lead the meeting, inviting questions at specific times, and use the Chat feature to have participants request the floor.
- Use Mute and Unmute options for Video / Audio: when you don't want to be heard or seen.
- During Screen sharing: Mute your desktop notifications macOS.
- Screen Share a specific application or window only, rather than your entire screen.
Learn more Virtual Meetings Tips
How to use the Toolbar during the meeting
After joining your Zoom meeting you will notice a meeting menu located on the bottom of your screen. Each of icons allows you quick access a number of features.
NOTE Host and participant view may differ and not all features will be visible during your meeting (or webinar) and maybe disabled by the host.
- Mute (and Unmute) your audio and using ^ to access audio options.
- Stop (and Start) Video controls your video and using ^ to access video sources options including access to Virtual Backgrounds
- Security allows host to lock meeting, enable waiting room and remove any abusive attendees. Learn how to use Zoom security features
- Participants allows host to active attendees audio and video or assign permissions and using ^ to invite new attendees
- Chat* opens a window to start a group or private chat. Learn more about Chat
- Share Screen opens new panel and using ^ to access how and when participants can share. Learn more about Sharing your screen
- Polling host can create or launch a poll.
- Record will start recording the video and audio of the meeting. If you are already recording, you can stop recording by clicking the Stop
- Reactions temporary places an emoji on the screen.
- More access to Live Transcript (Closed Captioning) and Breakout Rooms. Learn more about Breakout Rooms
- End allows the host to end or participants to leave the meeting.
*Chat Attendees cannot view chat history prior to their entry.
Enabling Closed Captioning (Live Transcript)
Host must enable Live Transcript (auto-generated closed captioning) before attendees can view it.
From the More icon
- Select Live Transcript option.
- Click the Enable Auto-Transcription button.
Participants can view captions by selecting the CC icon.
NOTE Breakout Rooms sessions host must assign a participant to type closed caption and only one breakout room will have closed captions after you start the breakout room sessions.
Tips for when using live transcript or 3rd party caption service
- Speakers should a close mic and speak at a constant pace.
Ending your Zoom Meeting
From the meeting menu select End button and select one of the following options.
- End Meeting for All to end a meeting for which you are a host
- Leave Meeting if you wish to leave a meeting you have joined
Recording your Meeting
Please review Guidelines for Privacy of Online Meeting Recordings before enabling recordings. By default the host will have the ability to record and only have access to the recorded files after the meeting has ended. These files are stored locally on your computer and broken down into audio and video files.
Location of your files will be in a folder organized with the following description
Document>Zoom>TIME, DATE, NAME OF MEETING, ZOOM ID
Tips to Record your Meeting
- During the meeting the host can assign the recording function to another attendee by selecting More button icon in the participant list.
- To capture a different recording view of your meeting use Techsmith Knowmia.
Learn more about Techsmith Knowmia
Unlike Teams which automatically saves directly to Stream, Zoom recordings must be uploaded manually to Knowmia, then shared.
Learn how to upload a video to Knowmia.
If you are planning an event with Zoom, please fill out Special Events Support Form. Login on the left hand side of the screen, click on Submit a ticket and select Special Event Support Form
Getting Started with Online Events
Other knowledgebase articles
Zoom at OCAD U
How to Schedule a Zoom Meeting
How to Join a Zoom Meeting