Zoom: Joining a Meeting
- Practice good online meeting etiquette: Follow the host instructions, do not speak over others, use a private chat window to not disrupt flow of the meeting
- Don't let technology get in the away of participating: Check your audio volume before entering an online meeting
- Boost your audio and minimize extraneous distractions: Most modern laptops have excellent built in speakers and microphones, although you may also wish to consider: a microphone headset (similar to cellphone headset) or USB room microphone and for larger meetings of OCAD U video conferencing facilities
Note: All Zoom participants must have Zoom installed. Please contact IT Services, if you computer requires this software.
From an invitation email or calendar event: Select the link that follows the text 'Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android'
From web browser, Mobile Device or Zoom Client: Select Join button
Enter the Meeting ID and your name. Then, choose how you wish to participate: Audio, Video or both. *These options can be changed be turned OFF or ON during your meeting by selecting the microphone and camera icons.
Options for Connecting Audio
The next screen, each participant can decide how they can join the meeting, by telephone (Phone Call tab) or computer video and audio (Computer Audio tab).
With a Computer
- Select Computer Audio tab
- Select Test Computer Mic & Speakers link Zoom will launch a window and display your current setting. Adjust your volumes accordingly.
- Select Join Audio Conference by Computer (green) button
With Telephone (Audio conferencing/Teleconferencing)
This is ideal for users that:
- Do not have a microphone or speaker on your PC/Mac
- Do not have a smartphone (iOS or Android) while on the road, or
- Not connect to a network for video and VoIP/computer audio.
You will need the following information from the Zoom meeting invite, local telephone number, Meeting ID and unique participant ID
- Dial a local number. Please see https://zoom.us/zoomconference for a list of dial-in numbers by countries
- You will be prompted to enter the meeting ID - the nine (9) or ten (10) digit ID provided to you by the host
- You will be prompted to enter your unique participant ID - Press # to skip
Joining by Computer (for Video) and Telephone for (Audio)
In the Phone Call tab
- Select the flag drop-down to find your country.
- Dial the number listed for your country.
- Enter the Meeting ID as displayed on the screen when you receive the prompt on your phone.
- Enter the Participant ID as displayed on the screen when you receive the prompt on your phone.
Note: If you decided to Join via telephone after Joining via computer, select Audio Options and Leave Computer Audio. Then enter #Participant ID#. Otherwise you may experience audio feedback or echo throughout your meeting.
Zoom Support Documentation
Other knowledgebase articles
How to Schedule a Zoom Meeting https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2236
Conducting a Zoom Meeting https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2235/337/zoom-meetings-101
Zoom at OCAD U https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2232/337/zoom-at-ocad-u