What is Zoom
Zoom is a modern enterprise communications solution, with a secure, easy platform for video and audio conferencing, messaging, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems.
Uses of Zoom
Using video, audio and screen sharing, via laptop, mobile or telephone with Zoom you can:
- Academic Guest(s) join classrooms
- Faculty Online Office Hours with Students for online or face-to-face courses
- One to many meetings: a primary presenter and a number of remote participants
- Many to many meetings: one meeting organizer and many meeting participants
- Interviewing potential candidates for employment
- Webinars: one presenter with up to 100 participants who participate minimally
- Conference webinars: up to 100 interactive videos participants and up to 10 000 view-only attendees
Why use Zoom?
From an academic perspective:
- Meeting online allows for greater scheduling flexibility with your students, faculty and colleagues
- Enhancing the learning experience by utilizing a highly collaborative and interactive virtual environment
From a technology perspective:
- Zoom integrates with Office 365 for easy scheduling
- Does not require contact information from participants and participants are not required to create an account.
- Built in advanced recording, screen share and chat capabilities
- Functionality and features are first class and many institutions are using Zoom
Note: Zoom Pro is now referred to as License. This name change has no impact on your existing service or functionality.
- Computer, Mobile Device or a smart Boardroom (MCA 287, RHA 714, RHB 1115) with webcam and microphone.
- Standard telephone (for audio only participants)
- Basic or Pro account
- Zoom client or App
OCAD University offers two levels of access to Zoom, Basic and Pro.
- Basic accounts
- Free to Staff, Faculty and Students*. Students may sign up for free using their personal email account
- Ideal for 1 to 1 meeting with unlimited time constraints
- Or 3 – 100 video participants, with a 40 minutes meeting duration time constraint
- Pro accounts
- 1 - 100 video participants with unlimited meeting duration
- 1 - 100 webinar feature
- Ability to assign a meeting scheduler
Staff and faculty can request a temporary Pro account by using the Zoom request form least 3 days prior to your meeting. Learn how to submit a Ticket here.
Zoom Getting Started
From your computer (PC or Mac)
- Open a web browser
- Go to https://ocadu.zoom.us/
- Click Sign In button
- Create Zoom account, using your OCAD U username and enter a new password.
*Students may log in (for free) using their personal email account.
From Mobile Device (IOS or Android device)
Download Zoom app by search for “zoom’ from the App Store (IOS) or the Google Play (Android)
Other knowledgebase articles
How to Schedule a Zoom Meeting https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2236
How to Join a Zoom Meeting https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2234/337/zoom-joining-a-meeting
Conducting a Zoom Meeting https://support-its.ocadu.ca/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2235/337/zoom-meetings-101