What is Zoom
Zoom is a modern enterprise communications solution, with a secure, easy platform for video and audio conferencing, messaging, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems.
Uses of Zoom
Using video, audio and screen sharing, via laptop, mobile or telephone with Zoom you can:
- Academic Guest(s) join classrooms
- Faculty Online Office Hours with Students for online or face-to-face courses
- One to many meetings: a primary presenter and a number of remote participants
- Many to many meetings: one meeting organizer and many meeting participants
- Interviewing potential candidates for employment
- Webinars: one presenter with up to 100 participants who participate minimally
- Conference webinars: up to 100 interactive videos participants and up to 10 000 view-only attendees
Why use Zoom?
From an academic perspective can facilitate synchronous remote learning:
- Meeting online allows for greater scheduling flexibility with your students, faculty and colleagues
- Enhancing the learning experience by utilizing a highly collaborative and interactive virtual environment
From a technology perspective
- Does not require contact information from participants and participants are not required to create an account
- Built in advanced recording, screen share and chat capabilities
- Functionality and features are first class and many institutions are using Zoom
- Computer, Mobile Device or from OCAD U smart boardroom with webcam and microphone (e.g., MCA 287, RHA 714, RHB 1115)
- Standard telephone (for audio only participants)
- Basic or Licensed (previously known as Pro) account
- Zoom client or App
Mobile Zoom app can be downloaded by searching for “zoom’ from the App Store (IOS) or the Google Play (Android)
OCAD U offers two levels of access to Zoom, Basic and Licensed (previously known as Pro)
- Basic accounts (Free to Staff, Faculty and students*. Students may sign up for free using their personal email account)
- Ideal for 1 to 1 meeting with unlimited time constraints
- Or 3 – 100 video participants, with a 40 minutes meeting duration time constraint
- Licensed accounts
- 1 - 300 video participants with unlimited meeting duration
- Registration option
- Breakout Rooms
Staff and faculty can request a temporary account if available by using the Zoom request form least 3 days prior to your meeting. Learn how to submit a Ticket here.
Zoom Getting Started
Create a Zoom Account
Faculty and Staff
- From your computer (PC or Mac), open a web browser
- Go to https://ocadu.zoom.us/
- Click Sign In button
- Select Sign Up Free link and follow the instructions using your OCAD U username and password.
May create an Zoom account (for free) using their personal email account.
Logging into Zoom.
If you are using Zoom desktop app or web client, enter your credentials you have previously created and use the general login field not SSO option.
How to Schedule a Zoom Meeting
How to Join a Zoom Meeting
Conducting a Zoom Meeting