Laptop Return Date for 2019-20: May 11, 2020
Faculty Laptop Program provides faculty with the exclusive long-term loan of a laptop for either a semester, or the academic year. The Faculty Laptop Program assists with curriculum delivery, professional development and the success of the student Laptop Program at OCAD U.
If you have received this document electronically as a part of a loan renewal you agree to the Terms and Conditions stated by keeping and continuing your current loan. If you do not agree to the terms, please return the equipment immediately.
Top 5 Reminders
- Keep your liquids away from the laptop. Liquid damage is not covered by the warranty, and is your responsibility.
- Return your laptop in the same condition you received it. Dents, gouges, scratches, cracked screens, warped cases are costly to repair at approximately $1000 per incident. Consider purchasing a hard shell laptop case and use the provided bag.
- Never leave this laptop unattended in an unsecure location. Classrooms, the library and open areas on campus are frequented by thieves. Never leave your laptop in your car where it is visible. Preventing crimes of opportunity is your responsibility.
- Return your laptop promptly by the designated deadline. We run security updates and install new software on our laptops and sometimes upgrade your equipment.
- Use your laptop. We strive to provide laptops to all our users and pay for licensing: we do not have sufficient inventory to offer a short and long-term loan laptop to the same person.
- Return borrowed equipment and materials to OCAD U at the required return time, or at the end of employment, whichever is earliest, whereupon equipment and materials will be evaluated for their condition and that all items on the loan list are present. Penalties will apply to late returns and abandoned equipment.
- The laptop is to be used for university purposes only.
- Keep borrowed equipment and materials in your custody and agree not to loan, or otherwise entrust or provide the equipment or materials to any other person.
- Be bound by OCAD U’s Acceptable Use Policy for the use of borrowed equipment at all times.
- Do not permanently relocate the laptop outside of Canada. Of course, it may be used for travel, but it must be returned by you on the specified date or at end of employment.
- Assume full responsibility for damage, loss or theft of the equipment and/or materials. All costs associated with the loss, theft or damage to the equipment while on loan to the Borrower shall be the sole obligation of the Borrower including late fines. We do not and cannot insure our laptops under OCAD U’s Insurance Policy. All equipment must be in good working order and be circulation quality.
- Participate in Professional Development Activities relating to digital literacy, Adobe software or e-Learning, Canvas as available and appropriate
- Participate or contribute your time towards learning materials for other faculty and students to assist their own digital literacy
Fines & Penalties
- Your obligations and any fines/penalties regarding the use of University equipment are outlined in the Equipment Loan Guidelines. All faculty borrowing OCAD U laptops are subject to these guidelines.
- Loan privileges and wireless network access may be suspended until items have been returned and all fines and charges are paid.
- IT Services reserves the right to refuse loan requests if valid OCAD U ID is not presented.
- Laptop loans are restricted to one laptop computer per user.
- If you require an accommodation, please work with IT Services and HR to support you. Users must provide necessary documentation prior to signing out any loans.
- The loaned laptop is either property of OCAD University or a financial services company under a lease agreement and must be returned upon completion of employment or the loan term, whichever is first.
- You are fully responsible for all loss, damage and theft regarding this laptop, and OCAD University assumes no liability, insurance or warranty for loss, damage and theft while the laptop is in your possession.
- The software is licensed by OCAD U for your use, while you are employed at the university only
- Some software may have restrictions on commercial use: please consult IT Services.
Loan Term & Renewals
The term of this loan is from the date of issue until the date listed at the top of the document. Laptops must be returned prior to or on this date to avoid penalties (See Fines & Penalties). Faculty are welcome to reapply for the renewal of their long-term loan laptop prior to the next application deadline and some loans are auto-renewed by your Faculty Office Manager. Regardless of whether your application is approved or not, you will be required to return the laptop to the IT Services Help Desk so we can run software updates, change security settings, check for damage and upgrade the hardware when necessary.
We install this software by default on all systems, as not only does our licensing allow it, but the students have the same suite of software on their laptops.
We optionally install this software for faculty who require it for instruction to students who also have the software on their laptops or want to learn new skills.
- Apple Boot Camp (on Apple Laptops)
- Autodesk Autocad
- Autodesk Revit
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Any approved free or open-source software that supports the curriculum
By Approval Only Installs
Some software we have only limited licensing for, and not all students will receive it. We deploy this software only so long as the faculty member is teaching it to students who also have the software, or they are engaging in professional development supported by their Faculty Office.
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- DZed Dragonframe
- Cycling 74 Max 6
- Rhino 3D
- Trimble Sketchup Make or Pro
What we don’t install
OCAD IT Services does not support, endorse or install the following software:
Security and Privacy
If IT Services is given reason to believe that the security of your laptop has been compromised in any way or your laptop is overdue for return, we will take steps to ensure the security of the laptop. OCAD U IT Services installs a management client on all of our laptops: this software allows us to inventory, track, lock and update software and settings to computers.
- OCAD U employs FileVault 2 disk encryption on Mac OS X, and Bitlocker encryption on Windows PC systems in order to keep faculty and institutionally owned data private from loss or theft.
- Boot Camp partitions are NOT encrypted by default. Do not store student, faculty or staff personal information on Boot Camp partitions.
- While the laptops we loan are encrypted, the USB keys and external hard drives are not encrypted by default, and Cloud services (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) are only as secure as your password.
- Faculty members are responsible for storing and handling student personal information, and we ask that you understand your responsibilities under the http://www.ocad.ca/about_ocad/governance/info_privacy.htm Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Please ensure any data you are storing on local devices is encrypted. Please contact IT Services for more information.
- To avoid loss of productivity, please employ a backup strategy using Apple Time Machine or Windows Backup. OCAD U does not back up any data stored on loaned laptops.
Find My Mac
Apple Boot Camp on OS X
Antivirus and Malware
We install the following security software:
- Windows: Symantec Endpoint Security (Antivirus)
- macOS: we do no install antivirus nor malware removal software. We recommend you install Avast, Sophos, Avira or other antivirus software on your Mac.
Backup, Data Storage and Rescue
OCAD U IT Services is not responsible for backup of loaned computers. Every year, we have at least four or more students or faculty with lost projects and unrecoverable data. Do not be this person. We strongly recommend that you purchase a hard drive to back up your files or use Microsoft OneDrive.
What External Hard Drive should I buy?
External Media Drive (for Video Editing, Animation or other large data files)
- 7200rpm 500GB HDD or larger (USB3.0 or Thunderbolt)
- 120GB or larger SSD External Media Drive (USB3.0 or Thunderbolt).
- 5400rpm 1TB HDD (USB3.0, USB2.0).
Support for the laptop is provided through the IT Services Help Desk, by emailing email@example.com or by telephone at (416) 977-6000, Ext. 444.