What is the difference between OneDrive and SharePoint and how do I access them?
What does it mean to sync my OneDrive or SharePoint files and how do I do it?
How can I tell if my files are out of sync?
Why can't I save or edit files in the H: drive or O: drive anymore?
How do i recover a file if I accidentally deleted it?
Can I work on synced files even if I am offline?
What characters in file names are incompatible with OneDrive?
Why am I sometimes prompted to log in with OCADUid@ocadu.ca.? Am I supposed to use my OCAD U email address?
How do I use the "Share" feature for folders or documents?
1. What is the difference between OneDrive and SharePoint and how do I access them?
OneDrive: Store business documents for your own use in OneDrive.
SharePoint: Store business documents for a team or department where all team or departmental members can find and edit documents.
Find both modules at https://365.ocadu.ca
2. What does it mean to sync my OneDrive or SharePoint files and how do I do it?
With the OneDrive application, you can sync files between your computer and the cloud, so you can get to your files from anywhere. You can work with your synced files directly in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) and access your files even when you’re offline. Whenever you’re online, any changes that you or others make will sync automatically.
Please note: The application for syncing both OneDrive and SharePoint files is called “OneDrive.”
3. How can I tell if my files are out of sync?
If you are syncing files to your computer, always ensure there are green checkmark icons on all of the folders and files. If you do not see them, do not make any changes to documents. Quit and relaunch the OneDrive application on your computer to resolve the issue. If you are on a mac, follow the instructions linked above for syncing and ensure you turn on “Finder Integration” in order to see the icons.
There may be a red x next to any files that are out of sync. Go to the OneDrive icon in the taskbar (on Windows) or menu bar (on Mac) to see if there are any sync errors and resolve as directed in the dialog box.
Please note: if you have multiple OneDrive accounts configured you will see multiple cloud icons.
4. Why can't I save or edit files in the H: drive or O: drive anymore?
The H: drive has been locked to ensure the smooth transition of files to OneDrive and SharePoint to avoid end user confusion and/or file duplication.
5. How do i recover a file if I accidentally deleted it?
Browse to the OCAD U 365 Portal at https://365.ocadu.caand click the "OneDrive" icon. In the left panel, select "Recycled Items" to see any recently deleted files. Select the file and right click to select "Restore" from the drop down. It will then be moved back into your OneDrive folder.
6. Can I work on synced files even if I am offline?
Yes. When your computer has an internet connection again, it will automatically sync.
7. What characters in file names are incompatible with OneDrive?
If any of your files contain any of the following characters, they will not sync properly to OneDrive. The OneDrive application warns you if any of your files are not syncing properly: " # % * : < > ? / \ |
8. Why am I sometimes prompted to log in with OCADUid@ocadu.ca.? Am I supposed to use my OCAD U email address?
No. Regardless of your email address, if you are prompted to log in with OCADUid@ocadu.ca you would put your OCADUid (OCAD username) with “@ocadu.ca”.
Name: Test Cupcakes
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
OCAD U 365 Username for device or application configuration: email@example.com
9. How do I use the "Share" feature for folders or documents?
This how-to article will show you how to share folders or documents in a number of ways. These instructions work for both OneDrive and SharePoint.
Items to note:
- If sharing to an external user (someone without an OCAD U email address), their access will be automatically revoked after 60 days as a security measure. If they require access beyond that, you will need to re-share.
- Sharing to "Anyone" means that anyone with the link can access the document. Only use this for documents that it wouldn't matter if anyone within or outside of OCAD U sees it.
- Sharing to "People in OCAD University" means that anyone with an OCAD U email address can access the file via the link you share with them.
- Sharing to "People with Existing Access" means that anyone who already has access permissions (to an entire SharePoint site, for example) can use the link to go directly to the document or folder.
- Sharing to "Specific People" allows you to select users to Share with where it will only be available to them (in addition to anyone who already has access)